Dustin Lamport, Ph.D.
Dustin Lamport, PhD, obtained his doctorate in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from the University of South Alabama. He completed his predoctoral internship at the Venture Psychology Internship Consortium in Battle Creek, MI. He moved to Knoxville in 2015 to pursue a postdoctoral fellowship with the Center of Excellence for Children in State Custody, which was a grant collaboration between the University of Tennessee and Cherokee Health Systems. Upon completion of his postdoctoral fellowship, he continued employment at Cherokee Health performing outpatient therapy and psychological assessments. He transitioned to private practice in 2019, joining Knoxville Behavioral and Mental Health Services. Dr. Lamport is a generalist who spends most of his time providing outpatient therapy to individuals aged 12 and up for a variety of presenting concerns.
Knoxville Behavioral and Mental Health Servicesdustin@knoxbehavioral.com
1. What was your first real job?:
I started out as a dishwasher at a local restaurant back home.
2. What has been your favorite book and why?:
I’m really just not much of a reader for fun.
3. How do you describe your sense of humor?:
Dry, with a sprinkling of dad jokes.
I really consider myself to be a generalist, but I do enjoy working with anxiety and mood disorders in teens.
5. What kind of patient would you like to see more?:
Highly educated people. I always feel like I learn something from them.
6. What would you like KAPA to provide in the future?:
More of the same! I just joined last year and have enjoyed the CE events so far.
7. What guilty pleasure can you not live without?:
Cheeseburgers. The greasier the better.
8. Name two people who have inspired you?:
Two of my supervisors in grad school: Tres Stefurak and Kim Zlomke.
9. What is a common point of frustration in your current work?:
Ambivalence in bad relationships. I have to remind myself to not work harder than my patients and to not put my values and biases onto them.
10. What’s one thing - either psychology related or not - you learned in the last month?:
I’ve learned about what a short squeeze is and how little I understand the stock market.